Acne is a common problem that occurs in the life of teenagers all over the world. However, it’s not unusual to encounter an adult with acne-prone skin, too. It’s a problem that can occur at any stage of life, with both men and women. In order to avoid acne scars, it’s crucial to leave their treatment to professionals. By doing this, you’ll avoid possible skin problems in the future which can damage not only the health of your skin but its appearance as well. Battling acne scars can have a huge impact on your self-esteem, so it’s important to work on prevention while you can.
If you’re wondering about the ways to treat these horrible scars, we have some good news for you. There is a wide range of treatments available that can improve the condition of your skin and make the scars less visible. Keep reading to find out what those are.
1. Why acne occurs.
When the dead skin cells and sebum are mixed with bacteria, they cause inflammation. This condition causes spots and pimples primarily on the face, but they can also occur on other parts of the body like back, shoulders, neck or upper arms. They are several types of acne. Blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, and cysts are the most common ones. They aren’t dangerous but they can all leave different types of scars.
2. Types of acne scars.
In order to choose the right treatment, you first have to identify the type of acne scars you have. There are basically two types of acne scars. There are atrophic scars caused by a loss of tissue and hypertrophic scars which, on the other hand, are caused by an excess of tissue. Atrophic scars are further divided into ice pick, boxcar, and rolling scars. Keloid scars are typical examples of hypertrophic scars. Whichever type you’re battling with, the good news is that there’s a treatment that generates results.
3. Schedule a visit with a skin care specialist.
Treating acne scars require professional treatment. Type of acne scars will determine the type of treatment you need. First thing you need to do is to find a good skin care specialist. Look for centers like Skinnovation Laser Clinic that specialise in laser acne therapy. This treatment uses thermal energy to induce a chemical reaction in pores which kills acne-causing bacteria and it works amazingly on acne scars. Other in-office treatments include the following:
- Dermabrasion has proved to be one of the most effective treatments for acne scars. This is why it’s also one of the most common therapies available. It’s based on deeply exfoliating the top layer of the skin by using a wire brush or a wheel. It’s best for shallow boxcar or rolling scars.
- Chemical peels remove the top layer of the skin with a strong acid. There are some mild products that you can use at home, but if you want better results, it’s best to turn to a skin care specialist. Chemical peels are used for all types of scares, especially the deep ones.
- Fillers are used for filling in the scars and help even the skin surface. There are many different types of fillers. They can be made with collagen, your own fat or they can be commercial fillers. Although some are permanent, most fillers need to be redone somewhere between 6 and 18 months.
- Microneedling is a treatment that uses a small needle-studded roller on the surface of the scars. When the needle punctures the numb skin it triggers the production of collagen. Since it reduces their depth, it’s best for depressed acne scars.
4. Factors that trigger Acne.
There are many different factors that trigger acne, but the most common one is hormonal misbalance. When the adolescence begins, the levels of androgen rise. It’s a hormone that later gets converted to estrogen in women. High levels of androgen cause the oil glands to grow which naturally produce more sebum. This can clog the pores and cause the bacteria to grow. Aside from hormonal changes, other common acne triggers are medication, inadequate cosmetics, and emotional stress.
Acne is a common problem, and if you think you’re alone in this, you’re wrong. Almost 50 million people around the world are battling some type of acne or acne scars. Aside from the health issues, it can cause a problem with self-esteem as well. The good news is that are treatments that can help and will generate results. All you need to do is find the one that best works for you.